Botak
The on-call today has been horrendous, and not only because it's been a while since I set foot on the ward. Everyone seems to be bleeding or having abdominal pains. And someone actually came in and complained about purple spots in her visual fields. Made me wonder which fucking idiot had referred her to the ward in the first place. About halfway through her convulated history, I came to the realisation that I didn't actually care. Had to mentally shrug off the feeling though and get on with things.
The most interesting session involved me taking a history off a patient whose accent was not dissimilar to that of Brad Pitt's character in Snatch. Thankfully, comprehension was nowhere near as difficult.
Somewhere in between, I managed to grab a bite and catch up on the news. Whilst reading my letter (that argued for the establishment of free healthcare), I came across the rather startling and amusing article of Sharifah Amani (the star of Sepet, one of the better products of the Malaysian film industry) being condemned by religious 'authorities' for shaving her head in preparation for a film role.
Apparently it's unIslamic, as women aren't meant to dress up nor behave like men.
Perhaps someone should point out to said authorities that this is yet another example of making a mountain out of a molehill. Things have to be taken in context - if she shaved her head, underwent a breast reduction and decides that wearing a strap-on might be a good idea, then yes, perhaps one might argue that she's wanting to behave like a man.
Otherwise, I don't see why this should lead to the moral decay of Muslim youth blah blah blah. Let her wear her hair the way she see fits, and perhaps these experts (and I use the term loosely) should stop barking up the wrong tree and concentrate on more important matters. In a world where Palestinians are now happily killing each other (and making a mockery of the so-called fight for freedom), there are other issues that these Islamists should concentrate on.








<< Home