Musings
My mates are sometimes surprised that I spend a significant amount of time by myself in my room. Paradoxically, I sometimes keep to my own company because being with others makes me feel lonely. This is especially so when you're in the presence of couples and your own significant other is halfway across the world.
Sipping coffee in town and watching other couples walk hand-in-hand usually brings a sad smile to face. Happy for them, sad for me. I can't help but wish that I could do the same for my Sweetie and be there for her 24/7 or at least be able to give her a hug when she's not having the best of days. But the teleportation machine has not been invented yet, and I doubt it'll be available during this lifetime. And it makes me feel rather angry and annoyed at times when I'm faced with couples who fight over the silliest of things. I wonder if they realise how lucky they are to be in the physical presence of each other and that maybe they should start counting their blessings instead of bitching about every other thing under the sun.
Anyhow, I have a developed a keen sense of being able to pull myself into my little world. It usually involves a comic book, a movie or a novel but sometimes (like today) it also involves walking around rather aimlessly and just enjoying the fresh air along with the random sights and sounds that come to be. I'm that guy you may see sitting by himself enjoying lunch, immersed in a book or happily texting away. Or that guy who believes that the best way to get to know a foreign place is by getting lost in the most obscure of places.
I guess that also means that sometimes I am a little picky about the company I keep. I have the same bunch of people that I enjoy hanging out with and that setlist hasn't changed in a while. Today's victim was Jo, who was kind enough to drive me all the way back to Carlisle after we caught Charles Ross' rather amusing One Man Star Wars Show (highly recommended, but only to those who've actually watched the original trilogy - otherwise you'll be left scratching your head). Star Wars being our little thing, I've half convinced her to go down to London with me for the convention next month.
Only thing left to decide is if I should sign up as a member of the fan club in order to gain early access...








<< Home