Saturday, May 23, 2009

Back from a Hiatus

It’s been a while since I’ve last written anything in this blog of mine, and it’s primarily because a lot has been happening; meaningful, memorable events that I have freely given my time to attend to at the cost of ignoring this little blog of mine.

It is perhaps a tad bit unfortunate that I am unable to document most of these events in the blog, but unless I am one of the unlucky souls who get stricken by Alzheimer’s, I’m sure the memory of these events will linger for a very long time.

At the moment, I’m on the train back to Durham and to the reality which would include getting down to the business of preparing for PACES, settling into a home that will echo with the sound of loneliness and in all probability, a return to normal cuisine (we’ve thoroughly spoilt ourselves by dining in Hibiscus, Nobu and One-O-One over the past couple of days).

One thing that has struck me over these past few weeks is the role my close friends have played in my life. It is perhaps rather ironic that I tend to think very negatively of humanity as a whole, but am blessed with a fair number of very close friends whom have proven time and again to be more than dependable and in more than one scenario, treated me in a manner that is usually reserved for family (somehow the message struck home even more forcefully whilst watching Patrick Stewart and Ian McKellan perform their interpretation of the characters Gogo and Didi in Waiting for Godot).

For this, I count my blessings and consider myself fortunate that despite the various challenges that I’ve been facing, I can always rest assured in knowing that there’s some sort of safety net to fall upon.