Thursday, October 28, 2004

Very the Tired...

Penat...

Sigh... just typed a whole load of nonsense, and all of it disappeared...why? No idea... one of the 'joys' of modern technology!!As one can guess, it was a tiring day. Had a day filled with history-taking, examinations and teaching. All of which has led yours truly to the point of mental exhaustion due to the info overload. It's good, no doubt, but I guess I've got to steel myself and get myself used to this change of events. Going from barely doing anything to intensive work day in and day out.

Of course, on the plus side, I hope to be a better student at the end of the attachment. Don't think I have a choice in that matter. Dr Orgee is known to have made students stay back during hols if she's not satisfied with their performance. Don't think I fancy staying here for the X-mas break....it's gonna be distressing enough spending it in Newcastle! And god knows I don't wanna spend my b'day over here!

I keep on mispronuncing Dr Orgee's name as Dr Orgy. Haven't actually done it in front of her yet, and I hope that day never comes. Might prove to be rather awkward. The lady is very very enthusiastic about everything. She's in hospital 'till 9-10pm, and she's always on the go.I noticed the lack of a wedding ring on her finger, which is a pity 'cause she's an awfully nice lady. A good teacher, although after 90 mins of teaching about falls, Helen and I were staring at her with dull, vacant expressions. Didn't help that I was hungry and she was suffering from a sore throat.

All in all, I'm finding geriatrics a heck of a lot better than the mental image I had in mind. I'm starting to see it more along the lines of being able to improve the quality of lives, rather than just plain old depressing. Don't think I'll end up doing it as a career though.Career-wise...still have no idea... don't think I wanna do surgery. The field itself is interesting at times. But surgeons tend to be pompous bastards. Generally. Not only do I not want to become one, but I don't want to work with such characters in the first place. Job satisfaction is gonna be quite essential if you're gonna be doing it for life. Medicine is quite interesting. The folks are friendlier (generally) and once again, it's quite interesting. I love interacting with patients. I don't think I have that good a grasp of medical knowledge, but I think I get along with patients quite well. Medicine is also tough and extremely busy especially in a place like Carlisle. But all the better for training, I guess. I did consider ending up as a GP. That's got advantages too. More time at home, more time for other activities (sports, business, politics), easier money (especially after the initial set-up cost). But I guess I can't actually decide at this point in time. At times, I do envy those who've made up their minds. At least they don't have the hassle of indecision.ah well...

almost time to eat...gonna fix myself a salami sandwich and figure out if there's anything more substantial to fill my tummy with...