Thursday, August 11, 2005

Yawn...

Had some rather strenous activities today. Add to the fact that I've been getting an average of 6 hours of sleep each night since last week, and you get a guy who's nodding off at seminars (something I'd do on any given day, come to think about it) and is grateful for the discovery of the coffee bean all those centuries ago. And it's not as if I'm extremely busy with work or anything.

Was on-call on Tuesday. Spent the entire 13 hours clearing things up in my ward, before going off to the admissions unit and clerking about 10 patients (which is a record of some sort). My feet were killing me at the end of the day, and I was ready to flop down onto my bed like a rag doll of some sort. And you know what? I had actually enjoyed the day tremendously.

Guess it was probably due to the fact that I felt like I was actually making a difference in the lives of the people I was meeting and talking to. The patients I met were all friendly and for some reason, every single one of them had high levels of urea. And simple things like watching a guy being able to eat after prescribing some metoclopramide (a drug for nausea) for him, or being able to present a case well to the consultant brought about a sense of satisfaction.

The only boo-boo happened in the afternoon. I walked into a patient's room and said 'Is this the lady who needs a venflon?'. The nurses looked oddly at me and one of them replied 'Look at her, what do you think?'. So I looked at the patient and I was quite alarmed 'cause she looked remarkably dehydrated. And just as I was about to run off to get the biggest venflon I could find, it suddenly occured to me that she was actually dead. Turned out she passed away about 5 minutes before I arrived.

Poor dear.

I'm still having problems with regards to getting access to the Internet from my room. Guess I'll have to wait a while and figure out what exactly is going on. Will be back in Newcastle this weekend and there'll be easier access over there. Wasn't planning to go back initially, but it's CT's b'day this weekend, and heck, I might as well go back for the weekends while I still can.

Besides the celebrations for CT, I think I'll take it a little easy this weekend and spend more time lazing around and sleeping. Need to catch up on my sleep. Last weekend was busy but fun - was able to catch up with the others and hang out with them, and also went out for lunch with Ninie and Kudo. Was good catching up with the latter, having not seen him in ages. There are a few pics over at his blog which serve to illustrate the food we consumed.

Yawn...

I'm off to my room. Shall try the Internet thingie again. If I fail, think I'll just lie in bed with some hot Milo and read those comics I brought along to Carlisle.