Physically physically physically fit...
It's been nice and easy these past few days. My hitherto pseudo-housemates are now my proper housemates (for the next couple of weeks anyway) and it's great having voices around again and being able to see a face that does not originate from the telly when you wake up in the morning and before you go to bed at night.
I've finished Foundation and Earth, and have also partly sorted out my comic collection. All that's left to do now is catalogue them (if I have the time) and read the ones I haven't read yet. Which number about 30 in total (although this is probably an underestimate).
Went to the cinema yesterday. Invited the others but they weren't up to it at the time. Normally, I'd wait for them and go together on another day but I was feeling kinda down yesterday and knew that I needed to do something to cheer myself up. Hence the decision to catch a few comedies - The Wedding Crashers, Kung Fu Hustle and Madagascar. And after laughing heartily at these movies, I decided to catch Sin City again so I basically spent the whole of yesterday locked up in the movies. I don't think I've ever watched 4 movies in a row, but heck, might as well enjoy this freedom of mine before work comes knocking on my door.
Of the three comedies, I think I enjoyed them in the order that I watched them. I'm a big fan of movies with Owen Wilson and Vince Vaugh, along with their friends Ben Stiller and to a certain degree, Will Ferrell. And this movie followed their well-tested combination of witty remarks and jokes, a little bit of slapstick along with a dose heart-tugging moments. Oh, and Rachel McAdams is beautiful in this movie.
Kung Fu Hustle is what you'd expect it to be - a more refined Shaolin Soccer. I'm not sure if it's actually better than the latter, but it definitely stands out on its own and had me laughing all the way, unlike Madagascar. Sweetie was right about it - so-so animation, and although the jokes were ok I guess, I probably couldn't appreciate them as much either 'cause I've heard my friends talking about them, I was tired of laughing, or they were meant for kids (especially since the group of kids behind me were squealing all the way). And after all, the whole 'New Yorkers are tough and New York is the best city in the world' bits became a little tiresome.
On the way home (this was approaching midnight), I glanced to my left and saw a variety of skimpily clad women going about getting drunk and saw a queue in front of Waterstone's to my right. Being the good boy that I am, I decided to join the queue and after an hour or so, was able to get myself 3 copies of Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince. No, I'm not a diehard fan, the other 2 copies were for Ct and Elly.
The wait wasn't too bad, with people dressed up as wizards and witches prancing around and everyone joining in the countdown to the door's opening (I couldn't bring myself to join in though). Unfortunately, I was surrounded by rather annoying folks. Once again, I can't say if they were truly annoying or if I was just reacting to the sudden exposure of human behaviour after being cooped up in the cinema for so long.
In front of me were 2 ladies, probably about 50 years old, who kept squealing and giggling and literally jumping around 'cause they were so excited about the book. I felt like taking a giant fly-swatter and smacking them, but unfortunately, I am merely a Muggle. And behind me were a bunch of American tourists who insisted on taking photographs every 5 metres. They probably thought it was a life-changing event or something.
Anyhow, I'm rested now and have read about 120 pages so far (with no small amount of confusion, having forgotten the events of previous books), and the book's ok-ish so far. After all, the exciting bits usually start around the middle when Harry's back in Hogwarts so here's looking forward to Round 6.








<< Home