Sunday, August 06, 2006

F2

I've made the transition from being an orthopaedic F1 to an F2 in cardiology without anything untoward occuring. Thankfully. I've been pretty lucky admittedly - not too many patients at present (my definition of a busy medical firm is one with at least 20 patients to look after), and none of the ones that I have are too ill. Helps to ease the process of re-acclimatising to using my grey cells and it's also extremely helpful to the new F1s.

Yup, I've got a couple of F1s under my wing. As both aren't UK-trained, they're struggling to get used to the way things work. I'm sure they're clinically up to scratch (probably better than I am at this stage!) but from an organisational point of view, things are a lil haphazard. It was quite frustrating having to explain every other thing and showing how everything works, which totally delayed patient care. Add the fact that my locum reg is also new and I had to guide her around as well. But it's only been a couple of days though, and there's nowhere to go but up.

Seeing I've got a couple of F1s, I'm apparently meant to participate in clinics as well. I'm sure it'll be good experience but I don't see it happening for at least another month.

Hmm...suddenly felt the urge to eat kuih sri muka. I swear I actually felt the taste in my mouth. Yum...

Will be starting my first set of nights at the end of the week. Something that I'm partially dreading, as I've yet to participate in medical night on-call. It'll be learning experience hopefully, just as tomorrow's on-call will be. Here's hoping nobody dies.