Saturday, July 28, 2007

Ciao Cumbria

Moving 7 years worth of junk is not easy, especially when one has to drive the items across the country (fell in love with the car though) and persevere with the great hurdle that comes in the form of endless flights of stairs. First time I cursed myself for my comic-collecting habit. Ended up with scratches on my arms, my dodgy knee acting up again and aches at muscles I never knew I used. Thankfully, it wasn’t anything that a 12-hour sleep couldn’t cure.

The new place has surpassed expectations, and although I probably won’t unpack every single box, I think it has fit the criteria of being called ‘home’ for the next year. And it had better be, after the small fortune I spent at Tesco and Ikea. Main things that are left involve purchasing electronics and pondering if it’s worth getting Sky installed. Should be able to survive without a telly in the near future – thought I had one but it turned out to be a regrettable misunderstanding.

Am feeling slightly apprehensive about working in cardiology at a tertiary hospital, but I guess we all get mixed feelings about starting at a new place. On the bright side, it won’t be totally new as there are people there that I know of (even Muni is moving to James Cook) and the rotamaster has been kind to me – I’ve got all the time off that I’ve requested and the on-calls don’t look all that bad.

So here’s raising a virtual glass of Amarone to new beginnings, hoping that our new hospitals will be as kind (if not kinder) as previous ones.