Road Trip
One of the commonest questions that I am asked is along the lines of 'Why do you remain in the UK when you come from a place with such beautiful weather?'. Today was one of those days that makes every such cliché seem to be the word of God - a constant downpour that pisses on the concept of 'summer'. With a grey curtain that hovers over everything, as it slowly sucks all feeling of hope and joy into a metaphorical black hole.
Or as a radio DJ said in a typical understatement : it is an abysmal day.
It wasn't all gloom and doom though. The planned excursion down south with my movie buddy went almost according to plan (i.e. we were a little late). It was her first viewing of The Dark Knight, which she responded to almost as enthusiastically as I did. It was a good drive down in what was essentially my car's first long journey, with all the essential ingredients of good company and good food. And the trip back up was punctured by little glimpses of light and a rather varied conversation which ranged from 'what causes a cat to vomit?' to the more profound question of the existence of God. It's funny how I connect with her; I used to think that we were quite different individuals with a few overlapping interests until Sweetie said that she's the female version of me, albeit one who's a lot more attractive to the opposite sex!
The good thing about rain is that it's perfect for going to bed. Which is what I'll do once I've finished my drink and the new novel that I rather randomly purchased earlier this week. And tomorrow I'll cure the empty, longing feeling of not having chatted with Sweetie properly for a couple of days and get down to work. Hopefully.








<< Home