Noteworthy events
A few silly things I have come across in the news recently. And I use the word ‘silly’ rather loosely.
1. Condoleeza Rice organising a UN Security Council resolution condemning the violence by Israel in Gaza, and then abstaining from voting following a phone call by George Bush. Oh, and the Israeli president has happily proclaimed on live telly that he spoke to Bush over the phone and told him that he can’t allow such a resolution to be passed. Disbelievers of the hold of Israel on American foreign policies take note.
2. Anwar Ibrahim comparing UMNO to Israel. A political move that serves to both exaggerate the situation at home as well as trivialise the situation in Gaza.
3. PETA (that organisation that loves animals more than humans, from what I can gather) campaigning against the consumption of fish by asking fish to be renamed ‘sea kittens’.
4. The Malaysian government giving the initial green light for an airport to be built in Negeri Sembilan, supposedly to cater to local flights/smaller planes when a modern, severely under-utilised airport exists approx 10km away. Sime Darby is once again involved, the same company whose spokesperson happily proclaimed that privatising IJN will lead to both greater profits as well as greater service provision to the rakyat. Does anyone know who advises Sime Darby on strategy? And which planet he/she/it is from?
5. Librarians to be renamed 'audience development officers' under plans by the Edinburgh council to bring them into the 21st century. Obviously people are unaware of the role that librarians play.
On a more personal note, I am kinda chuffed at present, having been informed that I have been successful in obtaining a training post in Respiratory medicine.
Traditionally, getting a job as a registrar in a training scheme is the last major hurdle to overcome, as once you’re in it, you’re pretty much sorted until you complete the training and reach the necessary qualifications to be called a consultant/specialist. It’s no wonder that most of the registrars I’ve spoken to have said that being offered their job was one of the most memorable moments of their lives.
It has been a relatively smooth process for me, as I have been fortunate enough to be at the right place at the right time. I can understand the frustration of those who have been stuck in the limbo between the old and new systems as the process is a lot more difficult for them. In fact, one of them made his views known and was rather dismissive of the whole process.
At the end of the day though, I have worked hard to tailor my CV towards getting the job that I want, and that, along with the huge amount of invaluable support and advice from various sources, has played as much a role as all the luck in the world. So I will savour this momentary triumph, before reality kicks back in and I settle down to work my ass off again.
Oh, and being chuffed is probably an understatement. I’m fucking ecstatic!








<< Home