Makan!
Yesterday was a day filled with gastronomic delight. From Amir n Ninie's KK doughnuts, to Sweetie's Oreos and Hersheys, I was definitely high on sugar. Add to that the fact that I cooked some masak lemak cili api and stir fried vege for myself, and the fact that I've been snacking on oranges at a rate of 5-7 a day, it's no surprise that I seem to have developed a tummy today (don't worry, Sweetie, it's only temporary! I hope...).
After skimming through my ethics text book, I sat down to watch 'Anatomy For Beginners' with the excuse that it's part of my revision. The late night show was hosted by Dr Gunther von Hagens, the guy who was made infamous last year (or was it the year before?) by his exhibition of plastinated cadavers in London. The show was rather interesting (especially the bit were he 'unclothed' the skin off the body). Spontaneous dissections were made in front of a studio audience, whilst a pathologist was explaining the functions and physiology behind the various anatomical. I have no doubt a majority of non-medics would think it gross, though.
Woke up early this morning to give Sweetie a call. We haven't properly chatted for the past few days, so I was looking forward to this morning's conversation. After 15 mins of chatting, I made the decision to go in a little late this morning and that decision allowed me to enjoy her company for the next hour or so without any interruption. Bliss!
Arriving a little later than usual, my supervisor thought I was in a different unit in the morning. Naturally, I didn't offer to correct that assumption of hers. In fact, she was telling me how good my attendance was! Hahaha... I guess I've stored enough credit (i.e. clerked loads of patients and showed my face around) to justify being lazy once in a while.
We had a long chat about breast-feeding and how it's good and beneficial for babies, especially those in developing countries. I came out of the conversation feeling a certain amount of hatred for the MNCs that produce and promote baby formula, especially in Africa and Asia. By trying to sell their products (which they claim are as good as breast milk without having any evidence to suggest so) and decreasing the number of breast-fed babies, they are increasing the number of cases of childhood diseases (e.g. gastroenteritis). This might not be a problem in the UK, but in the middle of Somalia or wherever, these kids die from relatively minor conditions. And the increase amount of subsequent disease just adds more pressure to a Health Ministry budget that isn't exactly expansive in the first place. When all this could've been prevented by just telling them to stick to breast milk. And this is just one facet of the whole poverty-in-the-Southern-Hemisphere issue. How can you not hate these capitalistic-minded companies/countries? Geez... I'm in danger of turning into a tree-hugger of some sort...
Anyways, the paeds quiz went ok although the person I was doing the quiz with suddenly turned all competitive. When we were marking our papers, she'd pump her fist and say 'yes!!' when her answers were correct. And moan and complain if our supervisor didn't accept her answers. What the bloody hell? Felt like slapping her. After all, it's just a small test. Lepak lah! I have to admit I was rather pleased when my marks were higher than hers.
Muahahaha <-- evil laughter.
Am off to hug some trees now. Hopefully the sky has stopped pouring.








<< Home