Dark-haired babes
Today was yet another cold day. I think the temperature for the weekend is expected to be in the negatives. Which explains me deciding not to go for a friend's b'day dinner. I can't bear the thought of having to walk in the freezing cold for 20 minutes. I was walking in town earlier, and the chill can be felt right through my jacket and gloves. And I swear if someone had pulled my ear, it would've come right off.
Muimui came over for a visit today. She was about 4 hours late, due to unavoidable circumstances. Spent the time relaxing on V's couch and was also attempting to figure out which topics should be concentrated on in preparation for next week's paeds quiz. Muimui's visit was kinda anti-climatic though, 'cause although we were planning to go walking about town and visiting all the usual places, it started snowing just as we stepped onto the high street, and nobody was really in the mood to brave the chilling winds. So, we ended up chatting in my house, sipping hot beverages to keep warm.
Watched parts of Bush's inauguration speech yesterday. Can't say I was terribly pleased, and this is probably one of the few occasions where I hope a politician's rhetoric won't be matched by action.
Went to the movies with the usual gang yesterday, and we caught 'Closer' and 'Elektra'. I had high expectations for the former, having read the rave reviews about it, and was also pretty pscyhed up about the latter.
Closer's a slightly disturbing movie which revolved around the dysfunctional relationships of its 4 major characters (it's based on Patrick Marber's play of the same name). It is at times comic, and at times tragic. enjoyed the movie 'cause it was very play-like, in the sense that the focus was exclusively on the main characters and their interactions, and there was no unneccessary interludes.
I also found it rather interesting because it doesn't focus on the meet-my-prince-charming-and-live-happily-ever-after fantasy, but instead relies on the oftentimes brutal seduction of reality. The couples break up in exchange for new relationships that, they discover, offer no more satisfaction than the one's they were already in. It's amazing how self-destructive and hypocritical people can be, and I'm under no illusion that these sort of things do not happen in real life. One moment you're savouring a sweet, Kodak moment and the next, you're cutting another person up with brutal honesty.
Julia Roberts and Natalie Portman were looking pretty good. Just as I was appreciating their good looks, I could hear Elly sighing next to me as Jude Law came onscreen and I couldn't help but chuckle. Looks aside, their performances, along with Clive Owen, were memorable and I think the chemistry helped develop the movie and bring across (what I think is) its main point - we are our own worst enemies.
Muimui came over for a visit today. She was about 4 hours late, due to unavoidable circumstances. Spent the time relaxing on V's couch and was also attempting to figure out which topics should be concentrated on in preparation for next week's paeds quiz. Muimui's visit was kinda anti-climatic though, 'cause although we were planning to go walking about town and visiting all the usual places, it started snowing just as we stepped onto the high street, and nobody was really in the mood to brave the chilling winds. So, we ended up chatting in my house, sipping hot beverages to keep warm.
Watched parts of Bush's inauguration speech yesterday. Can't say I was terribly pleased, and this is probably one of the few occasions where I hope a politician's rhetoric won't be matched by action.
Went to the movies with the usual gang yesterday, and we caught 'Closer' and 'Elektra'. I had high expectations for the former, having read the rave reviews about it, and was also pretty pscyhed up about the latter.
Closer's a slightly disturbing movie which revolved around the dysfunctional relationships of its 4 major characters (it's based on Patrick Marber's play of the same name). It is at times comic, and at times tragic. enjoyed the movie 'cause it was very play-like, in the sense that the focus was exclusively on the main characters and their interactions, and there was no unneccessary interludes.
I also found it rather interesting because it doesn't focus on the meet-my-prince-charming-and-live-happily-ever-after fantasy, but instead relies on the oftentimes brutal seduction of reality. The couples break up in exchange for new relationships that, they discover, offer no more satisfaction than the one's they were already in. It's amazing how self-destructive and hypocritical people can be, and I'm under no illusion that these sort of things do not happen in real life. One moment you're savouring a sweet, Kodak moment and the next, you're cutting another person up with brutal honesty.
Julia Roberts and Natalie Portman were looking pretty good. Just as I was appreciating their good looks, I could hear Elly sighing next to me as Jude Law came onscreen and I couldn't help but chuckle. Looks aside, their performances, along with Clive Owen, were memorable and I think the chemistry helped develop the movie and bring across (what I think is) its main point - we are our own worst enemies.
Can't really say much about Elektra without giving away the plot. And I have to say that the plot was rather wanting. But heck, Jennifer Garner in a red, leather outfit? Who's complaining? Sweetie's an even bigger J.Garner fan than I am, 'cause she was the person who introduced me to Alias. I think she'll be 'oohing' and 'aahing' more than me when she watches Elektra! Hahaha...but truth be told, it's your typical action movie and it's watchable. Heck of a lot better than Catwoman (I think I'm still not over the fact they massacred the whole Catwoman mythos).












<< Home