Treasures
I haven't jotted down some recent important world events in this little diary of mine. At the moment, the various political parties in the UK are steadily moving into full gear as the election approaches (5th May). Campaigning is gaining momentum as each party to seeks to out-do each other, and this is especially so with reference to the issue of immigration. The Tories are busy wanting to look tough and stern on the issue - and this has a positive impact on the people who're worried about 'overrun' and losing out to immigrants.
The problem with this issue that the terms immigrants and asylum seekers are being used interchangeably, and as much as Michael Howard would deny it, he's playing on the fears and racial sentiments of the public. Immigration has brought untold benefits to this country (heck, Michael Howard's parents were immigrants themselves) and in a situation where the economy is prosperous, an extended workforce is needed to keep it going. There might be a mis-use in the facilities offered to asylum-seekers, but I think that has more to do with a lack of proper enforcement more than anything else.
I was having a discussion with a friend the other day, and he thinks it's a waste of time to look into the various election issues and to vote here since it's 'not our country'. I guess it's true if you're living/studying here for a year or two, but this would be my second election in the UK, and there's probably more to come. As far as I'm concerned, I'd like to play a part in the electoral process of this adopted country in which I'll be living in and try to help change it for the better.
Other recent events include the marriage of Charles to Camilla (of which I don't have too high an opinion of) and the deaths of the leaders of the world's 2 smallest countries - Pope John Paul II and Prince Rainier.
Watching the Pope's funeral brought back memories of the trip Sweetie and I took to the Vatican. It was a memorable occasion, and not only for the fact that I took the trip with her. The history and grandeur of the place was quite formidable, and as we looked at the Pope while he was delivering his sermon, I couldn't help but think how the folks from my mum's side of the family would've loved to be there. My grandma was very excited when I told her I had seen the Pope, and at this point in time, she's rather depressed over his death.
It's funny watching people's reaction when it comes to religion. You get a diverse range of affect, from the mundane to the extreme. And it's surprising how some people hold on to their faith like there's nothing else to live for (and in most cases, that's quite true for them). I'm always disheartened by the fact that more people have been killed in our history due to religion than for any other reason. Kinda silly, wouldn't you think?
On the other hand, religion has helped us reached dizzying heights, and it is very much evident in this series I've been watching, well, religiously. Around the World in 80 Treasures is a documentary shown over on BBC2 that seeks to list 80 man-made items that the narrator considers to be treasures that should be savoured by mankind. It's a rather interesting mix of items - from the grand (e.g. the Taj Mahal) to the practical (e.g. the Berber granary) - and they all have one thing in common, they've served to elevate mankind both on a physical and spiritual level. Thus, it's only natural that you see a number of mosques, churches, temples and other places of worship on the list, which can be seen in its entirety here.
One can also see the various ways in which the powerful seek to dominate their weaker companions, not just physically but also in everyday life. Hence, the destruction of all that's glorious in the past (e.g. when Alexander the Great ransacked Persia) or the slower seeping through of one's influence, as can be seen by the presence of Coke in deepest, darkest Africa. At the end, one either gets an amalgamation of cultures or it just heralds the end of individuality.
Watching this show, and visiting places like the Sistine Chapel, is a very humbling experience. Many items just make your jaw drop - Nefertari's tomb, the ruins in Petra for example - and I can't help but wonder how amazing it must have been to view the 7 Wonders of the Ancient World. Watching these places, the sense of awe is almost overwhelming and everytime I start to think highly of myself or be a lil perasan, I'll just think of these works of art, and it sort of puts me in my place, making me aware of my myriad limitations. As a kid, I used to wonder what I'd be able to offer if the Earth was about to explode and there's be a limited number of spaces on the escape pod. Sadly, I haven't quite reached the stage of convincing myself that I deserve that space but hopefully that'll change one day.








<< Home