Sunday, August 14, 2005

Balik kampung. Literally.

I'm sitting here over at the Doctors' Mess in Carlisle, checking my e-mail and cari-ing pasal by writing e-mails to Malaysiakini and the UKMMF (I've been recently added to the mailing list courtesy of Kudo). It's been a rather relaxing weekend as planned (slept for 12 hours last night!) and it's about time I get my grey matter going again.

My colleagues are outside the room discussing the Foundation portfolio that all house officers have to complete during the Foundation programme. I was involved for a few minutes, giving advice and such, but as they so often do, the discussion's going round circles and since I've got a pretty good idea about what to do, I figured it'd be better to pass time checking my e-mail. Not necessarily replying them, but just checking them.

I'm quite pissed off with Wanadoo at the moment. I tried to use their dial-up software to gain internet connection in my room, but was unable to do so for some reason. Later on during the weekend, I tried to use my IE over at the girls' place, but was 'forbidden' to do so by my browser, which had been taken over by Wanadoo software and icons. I've tried everything from restarting my laptop to unistalling any file with the word Wanadoo attached to it to reconfiguring my IE settings, but nothing seems to work. Any suggestions from anyone would be helpful! Besides burning down the Wanadoo hq, I'm now bereft fo ideas.

The weekend was otherwise spent chilling out, and making full use of the Monopoly set I just bought. Don't think I've ever played 3 Monopoly games in a row. But it was tremendous fun, especially towards the end as Elly presented a carrot cake to CT (sempena harijadinya yang ke-?). I bought the original version of Monopoly, 'cause that's the version I remember playing with as a kid. And it taught me a little about places in London, which I happily recounted to myself the first time I visited London. I'd like my kids to have the same sort of exposure, and no, I'm not thinking of having kids just yet. I'd like to add to my collection of board games though. Next up, the Star Wars version of Risk.

Am gonna be on-call tomorrow, and during this coming weekend as well. Which means I'll be working for 2 weeks straight. Can't say I'm looking forward to it, but don't really have much of an option, do I? I'll probably be a zombie throughout tomorrow, and I've also found that I've been using the word 'wee' a lot. As in 'I'm just gonna have a wee listen to your chest Mr Smith' as opposed to 'What do you mean he's not weeing??'. Guess the proximity of Carlisle to the Scottish border manifests itself in many ways.

On other notes, Israel officially began its historic pullout from Gaza at the stroke of midnight. The Kissufim Crossing was closed as part of the military ceremony marking the beginning of its pullout from Gaza. But here's expecting more violence from settlers and their ultranationalist supporters on one side, and Palestinian militant groups on the other.