Saturday, November 12, 2005

Nights

I'm halfway through my first (of seven) night shift, and it's been pretty quiet so far. It tends to be this way when it's a Friday night, what with there being no elective surgeries to worry about for the next day. It would be nice to have every night as peaceful as this (I've only had one clinical situation to deal with, everything else involved venflons, bloods etc) but I guess I should be grateful to at least have a couple of easy days before the weekdays arrive.

Of course, the glittering reward that awaits me towards the end of my night shift is the trip back home to the arms of Miss Sweetie. Have to say the excitement is slowly mounting and I'm getting that feeling one gets before the start of a big footie match for example. Or the feeling you get as you strap the safety buckle in as you prepare for a roller coaster to take off.

A big congrats to those who've passed their exams recently. I have to say I'm quite happy for them! Other medical events of the week involved me being asked to be in charge of next year's medical rota. I'm not sure if I should say yes, as it would mean being the target of every other doctors' fury and it'll involve me having to grow a thicker dermis, but at the moment I'm tempted to go ahead with it.

Yawn...I don't have a bed to sleep in for tonight as the allocated bed has been given to a patient's relative. I don't mind 'cause the poor chap's all anxious and worried and properly needs a bit of space to calm down. My bedroom's too far away so I'll probably just stay awake tonight despite the lack of things to do. Which means it's back to the biscuits and Jingo, the Terry Pratchett book that is on loan from Shanti.