Sunday, October 09, 2005

Heavenly

It's been a good weekend. It was busy enough to keep me on my toes and prevent boredom from setting in, but not too busy as to leave me breathless and on the verge of being sent away to prison for murder. Only downside was (as expected) the MURSOS that one undergoes when one is unable to chat with one's significant other but I'll make up for it next weekend. Plus, it's just another 41 days before I have in her my arms again!

Got along well with the others on-call, plus I saw a few interesting cases. Among others, I met my first paracetamol overdose - a girl who should be smacked across the face for her insolence, but apparently that's unethical - performed my first aspiration of a pneumothorax, chatted with a lady who was continuously trying to chase the cat out of the room (note: I was unable to verify the existence of said cat) and there was another cardiac arrest. This time the patient died unfortunately, but not before ensuring that my pants was covered with a generous amount of blood. But it turned out that walking around in scrubs can be quite comfortable.

I'm quite happy with my experience as a doc so far. I think I've been getting an appropriate amount of experience, and although there have been stressful moments, they are just matters that one would expect to have to deal with as a junior doc. Maybe I'm being generous. I once told a friend that we should consider ourselves lucky and not complain too much as the workload and conditions in England are a lot easier than back home. She said that we shouldn't always think about situations that are worse because if that were the case, where do you stop the comparison? I guess she does have a point in a way, but I nevertheless stand by my view, irrespective of the topic at hand. Guess it helps make life that little bit easier and helps put us at our places.

Anyways... here's looking forward to my first official leave!