Thursday, March 23, 2006

Playgrounds

Was kinda tagged by Kudo for the following, which I thought would be a nice exercise in walking down memory lane.


How many schools did I go to?

Hmm…in total, I went to 5 schools (moved from Muar to Kajang to Taiping to Banting). Spent the first couple of years in St Andrew’s Institution in Muar, less than a year in SRK Jalan Bukit (I think) in Kajang before settling for more ‘permanent’ schools. Obviously, formative years were spent in the schools below, although the school in Muar will be best remembered for the ‘belangkas’ that lived in the monsoon drain next to the school that I used to poke at, and I can’t remember much about the Kajang school except that I had a crush on this prefect in pink uniform. Don’t remember her name or face or anything at all, but I’m sure it happened. Or was it a dream? Hmm…

3. SRK King Edward VII, Taiping (3 years)
Motto = Magni Nominis Numbra (In the shadow of a great name)

Probably the most well-known of the schools I’ve studied at. It’s was the first English school in Perak, and one of the oldest in Tanah Melayu. I don’t remember the exact reasons for enrolling in this school that’s more famous for it’s rugby than anything else (methinks), but it was fun trying my hand at the game, along with hockey and other physical activities, none of which I excelled in!

I also loved the actual building site itself, which is the original site for Malaysia’s first railway station. I remember watching little orange owls in their nests, playing with scorpions that lived in the barks of the ancient rain trees that bordered the rugby field. Or just walking around the compound early in the morning (with the excuse of doing my prefectorial duties) whilst the mist was hovering over the wet grass. Brilliant.

Oh, and Sweetie’s dad studied here as well!

4. St George’s Institution, Taiping (5 years)
Motto = Honor Virtutis Praemium (Honour is the reward of virtue)

I moved to this school ‘cause it was supposedly the school that offered the best (academically) in Taiping. And sure enough, I was never top of the class anymore. Haha… the honour usually went to Ee Meng or Pravin, and deservedly so.

More than any other place, this is the academic institution that probably played the biggest role in making me the person I am today. There was probably nothing special about the place itself (although for some reason, a few of the old boys went on to be Archbishops and cabinet ministers in Singapore), but it was probably more the atmosphere and the company I kept with. And those of us who still keep in contact do agree that it was probably a unique point in our lives.

Memories? Too many of them I guess. From debating, to discovering comics, to slacking off, to lepakking at the principal’s office under ‘official’ business, to discussing the advantages/evils of Mahathirism, to singing the tunes of Les Miserables, to organising various social functions and to the grand old tradition of growing thick skins - I guess that’s why I have a soft spot for Taiping, although I agree it can be tremendously boring post-high school!

5. MARA College Banting (15 months)
Motto = No idea. Must be something about ilmu and agama.

Supposedly the college with the best International Baccalaureate results in the world, I entered this place with trepidation. After all, I was one of the only folks who wasn’t from a boarding school and I spoke malay with a funny accent. Oh, and my dad happened to be the guy who had whacked a few of the students who became my coursemates. Joy.

I don’t think I ever did fit in, nor did I like the place very much. Waking up early, having curfews, having to watch how and who you speak to, being told off for wearing shorts (oh, and pyjamas too) – I guess I was a little ‘undisciplined’ for the place. But I was blessed to have a group of friends that I did forge a bond with, and they made the whole experience a little more worthwhile. After all, it’s over here that I got to know Sweetie and meet my best mate.


Was I the studious nerd or the last minute hero?

Don’t think anyone would ever mistake me for being a nerd, although the word ‘geek’ has been applied a few times (ask Sweetie for further elaboration – something to do with me reading comics, talking what seems like nonsense at times, and being a Star Wars fan). Last minute is definitely the way to go. Best example would be how I crammed a year’s worth of Statistics in the final month before my International Baccalaureate finals, and actually found out that I liked the damn subject.


Was I the class ‘taiko’ or the teacher’s pet?

Neither, come to think of it. I’d prefer to sit back and watch and listen (which is something I still do), although I do have a penchant for being involved in various organisations. Wouldn’t consider myself the teacher’s pet, but I got along well with all the teachers. Except for this one substitute teacher who annoyed me (for reasons I don’t remember anymore), and I remember making her life miserable by writing stories and singing songs about her. Hmm…maybe that’s why she left.


What was the biggest rule I broke in school?

Haha… going AWOL to celebrate Valentine’s with my ex-gf, and not only getting caught by the authorities but managing to worry the hell out of my parents. Of course, they were pretty pissed off once they knew I was safe.


3 subjects I enjoyed

History – the lessons themselves were dead boring, but thankfully I did my own reading and realised that there’s a rich source of entertainment in the silly antics of folks in the past.

Piano – not exactly something taught in school, but a part of my schooling years nevertheless. It’s a pity that I never did like playing the piano nor learning the theory behind it until I was in Grade 8 for both (which is also where I learnt time management, since I sat for my PMR during the same year). And by then I had wasted 7 years of moaning and being grumpy when I had to practise between Asar and Maghrib.

English debate – once again, not a real subject, but something I enjoyed doing during the latter half of secondary school. My main talent was at rebuttal, which was a fun thing to do. And which is something that still annoys a lot of people when I try to play the devil’s advocate.


3 teachers that inspired me

Mr Ooi – maths/physics teacher who taught us the principles of probability by gambling with us.

En Ridzwan – my BM teacher who had a lot to say about the establishment, but whose main aim was to make us ask the question ‘Why?’ at all times.

Pn Rosmah – not really an inspiration, but the teacher who had all the students drooling with her tight kebaya. In other words, I can’t think of another teacher off my head to add to the list above.


Hmm...who to tag? Or is it whom to tag? What about all the folks that I've got a link to in my blog? In other words, all you fella who actually read this blog. ;)