Sunday, January 29, 2006

Yaay Yaay...

It's been a horrible week in surgery, probably the worst since I started this attachment. Just goes to show that we're meant to go out with a bang eh?

What has happened? Well, I started Monday as usual. Except for the fact that throughout this week I didn't have an SHO. My SHO, Naomi (aka Melissa auf der Maur lookalike) is on nights, and her replacement is away on holiday. Under normal circumstances, this wouldn't really affect 'cause I can live without an SHO and have been doing so for quite a number of occasions.

This week however, the registrar on one team was also away, so it was just me and the consultant looking after all the patients (many of whom were rather sickly) and unfortunately, consultants are rather individuals with many other things to attend to. Coupled with this is the fact that my other consultant had 'brilliantly' decided to do 7 on-calls in a row. It's all fine and dandy to come and have a look at patients during a ward round, but at the end of the day I've been left with at least 35 patients to look after by myself, which is not easy when you also have to clerk in electives and you're on long days from Thurs 'till today.

That's me whining.

Looking at the bright side, Sweetie's back in blighty and she's been spending a couple of days with her buddies in the midlands. She's picked up the habit of calling up and saying 'I've finished all your money!' but thankfully that hasn't quite happened yet despite the phenomenal amount of shopping that the girls seem to have been doing.

Today's been awfully busy as well, but everything's gone well and it's one of those nice busy days that you can look back at the end of day as you sip your tea/milo and smile with satisfaction. The even better bit is that I'll be sipping that tea with Sweetie tonight.

And that's me smiling.