Tuesday, March 28, 2006

Wanna get high?

Day trip to Newcastle was fruitful - got my comics, got random stuff (like shaving cream, don't ask me why I didn't just get it in Carlisle), went into Waterstones and was totally suckered by the '20% off all books' sale, attempted to placate Ct's nerves over a milkshakes, and although I didn't actually buy anything for Sweetie's b'day (the main reason I made the trip), I had come to a decision by weekend's end.

Been around a few interesting characters as well. On the way back to Carlisle, I was joined at my table by a few chavs. An initially awkward atmosphere was a heck of a lot lighter an hour and a half later, where we chatting away and I was taught their 'secret handshake' as a parting gift. However, they were a little miffed when I declined to drink their Newcastle Brown Ale nor to snort the white powder that they had in great abundace.

Feeling rather tired at the moment, although I had the whole of Sunday to rest. Probably down to the fact that I've done 2 on-calls in 4 days, and will be on-call again this weekend. Which means it's still another week and a half before I get my next proper rest. The joys of medicine.
Having said that, I can't believe that it's already 2 months into my gastro rotation. Well, almost 2 months. And the past few days have been fun too, as I unsuccessfully attempted to have a go at pleural aspirations and lumbar punctures (the latter was on a horribly obese guy who had to have the lumbar puncture done by a radiologist under imaging). Looking at the bright side, I'll have an opportunity to have a go at both procedures again tomorrow and hopefully I'll be luckier this time round.

Also having the full team back this week, so ward rounds can be quite interesting to be in 'cause you're not the only one running around doing stuff, and everyone is chipping in. This is probably the only team I know of in which the consultants themselves are happy to write discharge summaries or take bloods or send off forms when they know you're busy. Plus, there'll be a couple of medic students with me so hopefully that'll ease the chores!