Wednesday, September 06, 2006

Zen

I've been walking with a little spring in my step these past few days. And this includes the weekend that I was on-call, which is probably a first. No, I've not lost it and gone the way of Van Gogh when he decided to slice off his ear. Instead I've been in rather good mood when at work 'cause I'm currently getting loads of job satisfaction; probably the most since I've started working.

I visited my old orthopaedic ward, and the nurses told me how happy I looked as compared to when I was there. Which rather surprised me, as when they saw me I was a little stressed about a sick patient, but in retrospect, I guess they had a point. I might be busy at the moment, but I'm revelling in my role as an F2 in general medicine in general, and cardiology specifically.

Sunday was a good on-call, as the patients came in pretty regularly and they all had rather interesting stories as opposed to the usual crap one tends to get. I managed to thrombolyse a couple of MIs, had my second ever CPR survivor (a guy who woke up and said 'Hey docs, did I pass out?'), sort out a few terribly dyspnoiec cases and saw a Bell's palsy among others. Inserted my first chest drain on Monday, saw my first pericardiocentesis yesterday and today was a case of sorting the little bits out before my consultants do their ward rounds tomorrow (besides printing off a few piano scores including Bach's Prelude and Fugue in B flat - one of my fav pieces - for use at some point now that there's finally a piano in the vicinity!). Things are going well with interpersonal r'ships as well, and my confidence is pretty much at an all time high. Things are bound to come crashing down in a couple of days.

The downside is that Sweetie has been busy with work as well, so we haven't been chatting with each other as much and naturally, I'm missing her a little bit more than usual. But the weekend's coming up, and I can look forward to having a longer chat with her as well as get a little bit of rest.