Monday, February 26, 2007

Humbug

It has been more than 6 years since I set foot in England, having set out rather eagerly and wide-eyed from the Southeast of Asia to pursue a medical education in a country that is meant to be a world-leader in the field. We came to this country primarily for the post-graduate opportunities, as almost everyone would agree that the training here is very well organised and it is internationally recognised for good reason. Why else would one pay more than 80 000 pounds for an undergraduate training programme, which is more or less similar in content in most universities throughout the world?

Now, it would appear that the time I've had in this country is coming to a close. Non-British and non-EU citizens aren't welcomed anymore when it comes to specialist training, even if we are trained within the UK and have more than sufficient experience/knowledge of the country, its culture and more importantly, the ethos and mechanisms that make up the NHS.

It does not matter if you have poured your heart and soul into improving and making an effort to build up your Trust, it does not matter if you have proven yourself worthy as a Foundation doctor and surpassed all the requirements. It doesn't even matter if you speak fluent English and communicate well with pretty much everybody. If you don't have the correct passport, then it is all for naught.

Having invested so much time,effort and money, I cannot help but feel frustrated with the outcome of the ST application programme. I would prefer to have been included and then be rejected for being of insufficient quality instead of being in this limbo of not knowing if I am not good enough or if my application wasn't even considered in the first place.

One feels unappreciated, unfulfilled. An individual who's been used to plug up the gaps in the Foundation programme, only to be discarded like an old teddy bear when Christmas comes a-calling. It is saddening that merit is not the main criteria anymore and that the playing field is far from level. Most annoying of all, no leeway was given to individuals who are already within the system. I would have probably done my undergraduate studies elsewhere if I knew I was going to be kicked out in such an unceremonious and disgraceful manner.

But I guess what doesn't kill you will only make you stronger. I know my strengths and my weaknesses, and hopefully this will come into play wherever it is I end up practising medicine. And wherever it is I end up practising, I had better start working on my PR skills as it is more evident than ever before that being a professional in whatever you do is simply not good enough.