Tolerance
Here I am nursing yet another subclinical respiratory infection of some sort. Every so often (usually during the onset of cold weather), I get asked by someone if I've got a cold. And it inevitably coincides with me having a slightly runny nose or coughing up stuff; details of which I shall not go into. Makes one wonder what sort of bugs are floating around the wards and how amazingly well the immune system copes against them as I feel pretty much normal, with the additional prolonged sneezing session every now and then.
Ramadhan has been pretty uneventful; it has kinda flew by without me quite realising it. Being on-call has actually been helpful in the sense that although one might get tired and thirsty, it's usually not noticeable as you're probably too busy to care. Which happens during normal days as well - it's normal to run through things only to realise that you really REALLY need to use the toilet or that it's already 4 o'clock and you haven't taken your lunch yet. Not really looking to being on-call this weekend, especially since I've been the second F2 on-call for the past week. So much for being able to balik kampung for raya.
One of the more worrying developments during this holy month is the increasing amount of intolerance that appears to be manifesting itself in various forms. From Jack Straw wanting Muslim women to take off their veils to folks in Malaysia stating that it's wrong to wish a non-Muslim 'Happy Deepavali' or to even visit their open houses or have joint celebrations.
So much for being a masyarakat majmuk.
One of the reasons that I am proud to be a Malaysian is that we live in a multi-cultural society where each ethicity's existence is not just tolerated but is actually celebrated. The concept of the open house for example is perhaps one of our most enduring and endearing traditions, and so is the concept of accepting and relishing in the differences that makes our Malaysian heritage so unique.
So it irks me tremendously (this being an understatement) when politicians and right-wing sympathisers play the racial and religious card (yet again) and slam a wedge down between the various communities and prevent true integration. This at a time in which the world is an increasingly dangerous and suspicious place to live in. In what possibly way can one's faith be questioned if one wishes peace unto another individual and celebrates their joy at their festivals? Will I burn in hell if I have a banana leaf meal at an Indian restaurant which has a little altar in the corner dedicated to Vishnu?
For someone like me, who grew up in the shadow of two opposing cultures, it is very easy to imagine things taking a turn for the worse and for prejudices to boil to the surface and cloud the judgement of normally rationale people. This is especially true if you're in the majority - for example, some whites tend to look down on Muslims in the UK and think that their understanding of events are superior. Cue advising women on what is deemed appropriate clothing. Might not be acceptable to dress modestly , but it's ok to pierce your clit and get into the GUM clinic at the age of 15. (Mind you, I'm not the biggest fan of wearing a vein across one's face, but it's each individual's choice is it not?). Similarly, some malays have a superiority complex and will not tolerate cultures or opinions that are not the norm for the day. I will always remember this Malay guy asking me 'Kau tak malu ke kau ade darah keling?. And this was an educated individual who came from a very wealthy family.
It's probably that time of the year again when I start to feel the pinch of having lived through a divided community and start bitching about how everyone strays from being a proper community. When the pang of wanting to belong and wanting things to be picture-perfect is at its strongest.
But then again, that is exactly what we should be striving to do - to forge an understanding and take concrete steps towards establishing a society that's founded on principles of mutual respect. The basics need to looked upon and (more importantly) acted upon instead of skirting around surface issues. And until these are dealt with in an appropriately honest manner, you can bloody well use whatever methodology you want to, but programmes like the NEP will never improve our society and we'll be stuck in the same rut ad infinitum.
Selamat Hari Raya and Selamat Hari Deepavali to all.








<< Home