A change will do you good
One of the biggest (and more common) challenges that we come across during our brief stay on this planet is our ability to cope with change. After all, nothing lasts forever; whether it’s something simple like that last piece of chocolate or something more profound, like your country being blown to pieces by the instigators of ‘democracy’.
With that in mind, I find it quite amusing and surprising that some people actively resist change, especially if it’s for the better. I for one can’t bear the thought of a mundane, predictable life (hence me discounting GP as a career at this stage). And as JFK said, ‘Change is the law of life. And those who look only to the past or present are certain to miss the future’.
Sweetie and I are going through career changes at present – she’s just started a new job at a new place, and I’ve just been thrown into the O&G night shift during my first couple of days on the job. And from a long-term point of view, the upheaval of sorting out the specialist training application is still far from over. The term ‘damage control’ would come to mind, if it wasn’t for the fact that I think it’s more of a vicious circle.
I go through cycles of despair and rage to periods of calmness and acceptance. And at the end of the day, I know I’ve done my best and I know that I am looked upon favourably by those that matter and that brings a certain sense of pride and achievement in my day-to-day work. Nothing beats the feeling of knowing that you’re doing a good job and making a difference to someone’s life. Except that warm feeling I get with regards to Sweetie, but that’s a totally different matter.
The whole issue of change came to mind after my chat with Jessie, the other day. She’s the high-school sweetheart of one of my best mates from SGI, Taiping, and chatting with her about events from my teenage years to the present day just brought a smile to my face. It’s amazing looking back and realising how much has changed (and how much has remained the same) in little over a decade. I will probably laugh at my current self when I’m 35 the way I’m currently laughing at my antics back in school.
The one thing that remains the same though is the friends you make and the ones that you keep. I can easily slip into a comfortable conversation with a close friend that I only meet up with once a year, and it’s amazing how little the chemistry changes over that period of time. And all the keepsakes from yesteryear have no hold over your past when compared to a session of teh tarik or wantan mee with your friend/s.
I am probably reminiscing for the simple reason that nights in O&G is amazingly quiet. I don’t intend to jinx it, but it’s heaven compared to the nights in medicine – not only do I have a room with a comfortably soft bed and fluffy duvet cover, I can actually sleep for a lot longer than the usual 15 mins. I do miss ITU at present, ‘cause I think it was probably the rotation that I’ve enjoyed the most in my working career so far but it’s too early to give my take on being an F2 in O&G.
And by the time I decide if I love it or hate it, it’ll be time to move on again. Where to? It’s too early to say but I look forward to changes in both my professional and personal life. And on that note, here’s wishing Yew Wai & Jessie my heartiest congratulations.








<< Home