Monday, November 05, 2007

Suka Duka

Something that has irritated me recently:

Nurses who won’t attend to patients’ needs when they’re on their ‘break’. For the non-medics amongst you, it is a well-known fact to junior doctors that disturbing nurses on their breaks is tantamount to sacrilege. I popped my head into the staff room the other day and asked for the nurse looking after a Mr X and was given a ‘nobody, ‘cause we’re all on our breaks’ as a reply. To which I gave a rather sarcastic reply and went on my way. Don’t think the nurse particularly likes me at the moment, but it’s her own fault for not removing her butt-plug before getting into work.

The REALLY annoying thing is the fact that you know you’re being treated almost disrespectfully, to the detriment of the patient no less, because they just don’t have any sense of responsibility nor respect if you're a young doc. I’ve seen this same nurse jump at a consultant’s slightest twitch of the eyebrow and she’d never dream of being sarcastic to him I’m sure.

Something that has not irritated me recently:

Stardust. Watched it with Ninie & Imaan the other day and I must say that I was pleasantly surprised, as I found it pretty good despite having high expectations. The fact that it was written by my favourite author and stars both Ms Pfeiffer and Mr de Niro (who performed sportingly well) helped elevate those expectations. I wouldn’t say it’s a great movie, but more of a fun journey which had its moments, ranging from the dramatic to the ludicrously funny.

I made it a point not to re-read the book prior to the movie though, as I’m sure one is bound to be disappointed if one takes the purist approach to the movie. Having said that, I intend to go through it again and for those of you who intend to do so as well, I’d highly recommend the illustrated version by Gaiman and Charles Vess, who draws amazingly beautifully.