Monday, February 25, 2008

Sob sob...sniff...

As I sat down after the weekend on-call and savoured a marvellous mug of warm coffee and a few bites of the most delicious cantucci I've had the pleasure of tasting, I felt a little bad for making a patient of mine cry earlier during the day.

Part of me felt guilty (after all, a fair number of normal people don't really enjoy making others angry or sad) but another part of me said that I had to do what was best for the patient, regardless of the method in which it was done. So if frightening the patient and making the patient cry prevents the patient from self-discharging, then it is something that I will have to learn live with. At the end of the day, you need to do what's right.

Sweetie did point out to me though that I'm either awfully nice or very mean to people, with not much scope for the in-between. On reflection, she's probably right as I make it a point to be nice to those I actually care about and am pretty much indifferent to everyone else e.g. I don't flirt with nurses or bodek my consultants - not 'cause I don't realise the difference that such activities make, but because I'm just too lazy.

When I was asked to speak to a 'datuk' recently, I made the mistake of uttering 'kena ke?' out loud. Unfortunately, I'm not really one of those folks who make it a point to be friends with everyone. Wonder how that'll affect my career progression...