In need for a renaissance
I must say that certain recent developments in Malaysia are rather disturbing.
First you have the PAS-led state of Kedah declaring that it is imposing a blanket ban on concerts until further notice because of its negative impact on youths. A state councillor was quoted as saying ‘we don’t condone any gelek-gelek’ or words to that effect.
Then JAWI decides to form a hotline allowing the public to snoop on others and make complaints if they think that there are other Muslims who indulge in non-Islamic behaviour. More enforcement officers will be employed to help out with this project, which makes you wonder if this is a fascist ploy to increase the employment rates amongst the local graduates. Although the more pertinent question would be why these same individuals do not place more efforts on normal policing nor on reining in true sinners, like those who are busy usurping the rakyat.
And last but not least, we have an UMNO Divisional leader ranting and raving about the rights of Malays and how the Chinese are squatters. Followed by further rabid actions including the tearing of Koh Tsu Koon’s portrait. What gives?
I can never understand the mentality of these Malays who think that it is their God-given right to do as they please without giving a damn about the sensitivities of other ethnicities. Nor do I understand their need to forlornly march towards a Taliban-like state, where nothing less than the total Arabisation (if there is such a word) of the country is the ultimate aim.
It doesn’t help that such thoughts are brainwashed into the minds of children from the time they are in school. I vividly remember my ustaz telling me how the Malays are special and how we should always work together against the common enemy i.e. anyone who is not Muslim. If such a feeling of antagonism was so prevalent in a (supposedly) religious education class in a missionary school, what more in classes in boarding schools were the students are almost exclusively Malays?
And my ustaz had the gall to wonder why I did not enjoy his classes. How could I accept his teachings when I knew that there were numerous inconsistencies to it, and that they were against the principles of the religion itself? How does one respond to an Ustaz who pulls you aside and scolds you for being friendly with non-Malays or even sharing a lunch table with them? Naturally I rebelled against restrictions, and was promptly given a negative label. If it wasn’t for the fact that I was the poster boy for studies etc, I doubt they would have given me any time of the day.
Don’t get me wrong, not all Malays are like this and there are a fair number of Chinese and Indians who are equally, if not more racist. I have Indian relatives who think of me as some sort of mongrel half-breed, who have shunned my mother for marrying a Malay (it’s funny how they are suddenly awfully friendly when they find out that her son is working as a doctor in the UK). And my past experience with my Chinese ex-gf is enough to show me that open-mindedness isn’t all that prevalent.
Everyone has racist tendencies, or have the occasional racist thoughts. To say that you’ve never had a single racist thought would be a lie, but most of us are aware that we are human beings, and therefore able to use our intellect to squelch the unfettered negative emotions that come into play. And we do so because we should know that at the end of the day, we are all created equal in God’s eye (or eyes) and any physical differences are due to a genetic lottery.
Do we put a dampener to the voices of hatred? Do we quell civil liberty in doing so? I say yes – there is a difference between sitting down in a civilised manner and discussing differences, as opposed to the vicious voices that fill the airwaves with poisonous mutterings of ethnic discontent. An example should be made and individuals should be made fully aware that no dissent would be tolerated when it comes to the maintenance of civil peace.








<< Home