Saturday, September 06, 2008

Mi Amor

I was watching Amores Perros last night, which roughly translates to 'Love's a Bitch'. It's not a movie with a fairy tale ending, in fact it's a movie with no particularly happy ending at all as it deals with the more visceral aspects of struggling through the emotional turmoils that inevitably comes with loving someone.

Love for another person is a rather interesting subject to dissect, if you choose to do so. It cannot be likened to passion for any inanimate subject of study, as it is fluid, dynamic and more importantly, it's a two-way relationship. Some excel, some despair. Some are begging to get out, others are dying to get in. Concepts such as 'things will always remain the same' and 'they lived happily ever after' are for the naivé who base their expectations on the books they read as children, without knowing the hard work and sacrifices that are needed to ensure that a relationship you deem more precious than life itself does not lose its way.

My relationship with Sweetie hasn't been the smoothest of sailing trips (ironically, the issues have nothing to do with our feelings and commitment to each other). We've both put on rather strong fronts in the face of things, but we both (and our close friends) know that it's not been an easy journey. Periods of being dizzyingly in love have been interspersed with moments of doubt and soul-wrenching despair.

I wouldn't exchange it for anything in the world though. I am a romantic at heart, and for all my cynical views of the world and how we'll end up destroying ourselves, my relationship with her is THE bright aspect of my life. All the usual clichés apply : she gives me that warm glowing feeling and gets me all giddy when I'm with her, she gives me a reason to look forward to, she gives strength when I'm struggling by myself, she gives me faith in humanity, and to quote Jack Nicholson in As Good As It Gets, she makes me want to be a better man (yes, I know there's a lot to improve on and yes, you can stop puking now).

But anything worth having is worth fighting for eh?


Lucky
(Jason Mraz ft Colbie Caillat

Do you hear me,
I'm talking to you
Across the water across the deep blue ocean
Under the open sky oh my, baby I'm trying
Boy I hear you in my dreams
I feel your whisper across the sea
I keep you with me in my heart
You make it easier when life gets hard

I'm lucky I'm in love with my best friend
Lucky to have been where I have been
Lucky to be coming home again
Oooohhhhoohhhhohhooohhooohhooohoooh

They don't know how long it takes
Waiting for a love like this
Every time we say goodbye
I wish we had one more kiss
I'll wait for you I promise you, I will

I'm lucky I'm in love with my best friend
Lucky to have been where I have been
Lucky to be coming home again
I'm lucky we're in love in every way
Lucky to have stayed where we have stayed
Lucky to be coming home someday

And so I'm sailing through the sea
To an island where we'll meet
You'll hear the music, fell the air
I'll put a flower in your hair
Though the breezes through trees
Move so pretty you're all I see
As the world keeps spinning round
You hold me right here right now

I'm lucky I'm in love with my best friend
Lucky to have been where I have been
Lucky to be coming home again
I'm lucky we're in love in every way
Lucky to have stayed where we have stayed
Lucky to be coming home someday

Ooohh ooooh oooh oooh ooh ooh ooh ooh
Ooooh ooooh oooh oooh ooh ooh ooh ooh