Friday, January 14, 2005

2 degrees Celcius

It's rather cold today. Walked out of my house this morning and was greeted with a rather chilly reception from Mother Nature. Funny thing is, it hasn't snowed properly yet in Newcastle this winter despite the storms elsewhere and the low temperatures. There has been the odd light shower, but nothing substantial that might have covered the ground in a white carpet. Then again, I'm not really complaining. Just like the story I posted yesterday, I've more or less lost any interest in snow. Nice to see, and that's pretty much it. Everytime I talk to Sweetie over the phone, I'll whine about the cold, and on her part, she'll complain about the heat.

Was supposed to be on-call yesterday, but I decided that I'd rather go home and relax, thank you very much. I sort of told myself I'll do the on-call today instead, but to be honest, not only is the body not willing, the heart ain't too keen either. See la... as long as I don't get myself into a spot where the doc I'm with expects me to stay on, things should be fine... funnily enough, I actually feel a little bit of guilt for skipping the on-call, but that'll pass I'm sure. Hahaha...

Got myself a ticket for Mozart's Don Giovanni. It'll only be performed in April, but I figured that I'd just buy the ticket before it's sold out. Thought of asking some folks to join me, but I can't think of anyone who'd want to spend that much on an opera, and I wasn't in a mood to get a 'I'll get back to you' or 'I'll think about it' as an answer. There's also gonna be a performance of Swan Lake by some folks from St Petersburg, and that looks interesting. But I've already watched it so I guess I should just keep my money for something else. Something at The Sage perhaps. Now, if it was the Nutcracker Suite, I'd be more intrigued.

I tried getting a ticket for the performance by the St Petersburg Philharmonic which will be held in a couple of weeks at The Sage, but it was sold out. They will be performing a selection of Rachmaninov's and Stravinksy's pieces. I happen to love the works of Russian composers in the late Romantic period/early Modern period, so I wasn't too happy. If only I had known about it earlier...sob sob sob... I haven't really been watching any classical performances while I've been here, but I guess there's always time later on. Watched a couple of performances at the Petronas hall at KLCC with Zana's parents, but I don't think that's going to happen again anytime soon...

Being too lazy to prepare any dinner last night, I decided to try the new fast-food joint, Chicken Cottage. For those of you who were wondering if it's any good, well, it ain't bad but it ain't exactly finger-licking-good either. Might as well stick to Dixy's. Had a good chat as usual with WK, who dropped by before going off on his night shift. It's a pity he'll be moving out of Newcastle eventually.

Had a chat with my supervisor earlier this morning. I like listening to her talk, 'cause she reminds me of Julie Andrews. Very well-articulated. Makes me ashamed of the fact that I tend to rush through my conversations like a bullet train. But I've made the rather amusing discovery that if I consciously slow my speech down, I'll fumble my words and my thought pattern becomes distorted. It's almost as if I can either talk/think fast, or not at all. Sigh...

We talked about the idiotic things that parents do at times. For example, the headlines of today's papers are about the case of this wealthy couple who were found guilty of manslaughter after their adopted kid died. How did he die? They force-fed him up to 4 spoons of salt a day as punishment for being naughty. No wonder the poor fella died. I think I'm in danger of becoming rather judgemental at times. I see how some kids are not being raised properly i.e. without the proper stimulation or not being placed in an appropriate environment, and I'll think 'How stupid can you be??'. I know there are other factors involved, but you can't help but be mad at times. The fact that Gwen Stefani's tick-tock song kept playing in my head for some reason proved to be a distraction though.