Thursday, January 13, 2005

There is no spoon...

Oooh... the timetable for finals has just been released. Very the scared one! Starts on the 3rd of June, and goes on 'till the 14th. After which, if all goes well, I'll be able to spend a couple of weeks back home. I've yet to start revision, but I've already mentally listed down the things that I'd be doing once I get home. Sad, huh?

Was in clinic 'till pretty late yesterday, about 6+pm. The cases were interesting though, so I didn't quite mind. As usual, I spent a considerable amount of time (read : most of my time) chatting and playing with the kids instead of listening attentively to the conversations that my consultant was having with the various mums and dads. Taught a boy to use the stethoscope properly, chatted with another about Pulp Fiction (I have no idea why a 9-year-old was allowed to watch that movie!), helped another kid draw a flower (she drew a cat and insisted it was a flower) and did other medicky bits as well.

One of the patients has a condition called 'selective mutism'. In other words, he speaks only when he wants to, and this can have various social and developmental consequences. It was interesting to observe the doc communicate with him via MSN Msgr. It was also interesting to note how kids with neurological impairment start to improve with physiotherapy via the use of the Playstation Eye Toy. Goes to show that with a little bit of lateral thinking, items made for recreational purposes can be used for more noble purposes.

This sort of reminds me of a show I caught on the telly yesterday about engineering marvels. I have to say I've got an admiration for engineers, especially those who've challenged the norm and gone for something different/hitherto thought impossible. I probably admire the whole 'thinking outside the box' bit, 'cause some of the projects are just so collossal that it's a wonder it was conceived in the first place. Don't think I have that sort of creativity in me just yet.