Sunday, January 09, 2005

Lazy Sunday

This is the season in which Sky One and E4 start to broadcast the latest season of whatever American sitcom/drama that is currently 'in'. So, within the next couple of weeks, I'll be able to tune into OC, Smallville, Nip/Tuck, ER, CSI and god knows what else. How am I suppose to study? (yeah, yet another excuse!). And once again, I have to say, too bad Friends is over.

Watched the first episode of Desperate Housewives last night. Apparently it's quite big over in the states at the moment, and I can understand the attraction. It's a dark comedy that looks at the lives of a bunch of housewives in an upper-class suburbia somewhere in the states. It starts off with Mary Alice Young talking about her 'perfect' life, just before she blows her brain out and thereafter, she provides the narrative for the show, speaking as one who is looking down on the neighbourhood from above (or from below, since most folks do believe that you're damned to hell once you commit suicide). Anyways, from what I gather so far, the show will probably revolve around her friends trying to figure out what went wrong, along with various journeys of self-discovery, since things aren't as perfect as they seem.

I've also got loads of books to read... starting with the Illustrated Guide to Paediatrics. I've also skipped Asimov and am going through 'The Chinese Dilemma' at an enforced rate of one chapter per night. The book is rather interesting -it is authored by a M'sian-chinese businessman, and he writes about the NEP and the chinese perpective of its implementation and consequences. More about that once I've actually finished reading it.