Saturday, February 19, 2005

Human contact

I'm currently in a rather more sociable mood. Either that, or my sociable side has been switched on at the prospect of having good food that I don't have to cook myself.

Had our usual lunchtime meeting at the Morpeth practice yesterday afternoon. They tend to have meetings on Mondays, Tuesdays and Fridays. You have your pick of the sandwiches served, although on Mondays there's some lovely soup as well. Last week's chilli con carne was particularly good. And of course there's more to munch on if there's a drug rep around to join in the fun.

The Northumbria University's Malaysian Society had their CNY Dinner last night, and after being called up by a couple of friends, I decided to tag along. Naturally, good food was foremost on my mind and I wasn't disappointed. The fact that they had 'sambal bawal hitam' was good enough, considering how much I love that fish and the fact that I don't ever eat it over here.

Overall, the whole thing was a success and I did enjoy myself. The performances were worth watching, the actual organisation went pretty much without any probs and there was enough food to go around (feel kinda bad 'cause apparently some of the committee members didn't eat but I had two helpings...). It's a pity that my own Student Union doesn't have a similar sort of venue in which we can organise our own functions.

There were various cliques as usual. Caught up with a few old friends, as well as some newer ones. There was the usual bunch of annoying people that I tend to stay away from, as well as individuals who had their nose so high up I was quite surprised that they were able to navigate themselves. Was amused as I watched some of my friends slowly (but surely) get drunk. Towards the end, there was an attempt at establishing a dancefloor. It was partly successful, mainly due to the enthusiasm of the indian machas who're probably the same folk you tend to see in some of the clubs back home.

Ninie took some pics, which can be viewed here.

Hung out with W2k this morning. Was in the mood for some french toast before heading off to his place to help him with his new speakers. Monitor Audio Gold Series GR60. Now, my knowledge of speakers and amps and the whole separate system is negligible at best. But these speakers are truly awesome and I sat there for rather long periods of time, listening to the 'new' sounds from the likes of Elgar's 'Cello Concerto No.1' and the piano solo from Johnny Lee Hooker's 'Annie Mae'. I'm not sure if I'll ever spend that much on a good sound system, but I can now appreciate the temptation involved. Next step is to await the arrival of his Naim amp.

Found out a lil while ago that Yus n CT are preparing some nasi lemak and chicken rendang. There's gonna be a lil dinner with MH, HM and housemates as well. So I've got that to look forward to next.Yum...