Fanboy stuff
Note : This started out initially as a reply to Kudo's comment in my previous entry. But since it got so bloody long, I decided to post it as a blog entry instead. Yes, I'm a fanboy.
A Marvel fan eh? I'm the opposite...always been more of a fan of DC, although like you, I was more keen on Batman. Probably 'cause he was darker and more realistic. DC was my fav though, 'cause they had the Vertigo line, which showcased pretty groundbreaking stuff like The Sandman, Hellblazer (I wonder if Keanu-kayu-Reeves will be able to pull off Constantine) and Preacher. Marvel's got their own mature-line with Marvel Knights these days, and it ain't so bad either (check out District X).
I think DC's characters have a richer history, and even folks like Captain Marvel have rather interesting tales behind them. It's just that the writers tend to be, for want of a better word, crap. Except for the past few years, the writers in DC's stable were mediocre at best, and it is only recently that they have upped the ante with exclusive deals with prominent writers. That's why you see a resurgence of classic characters like Superman (I've never been a fan of Mr Boy Scout but the stories and art are one of the best at the moment...you can't beat the Brian Azzarello and Jim Lee combination!), Wonder Woman (Greg Rucka making Machiavelli look like a novice) and the Green Lantern (heralding the return of Hal Jordan). The recent Identity Crisis was an amazing piece of work by Brad Meltzer and Rags Morales, which not only tackled dark and serious themes which no one else dared touch, but changed the status quo of the entire DC universe.
Having said that, X-Men's uber-cool, and its pedigree is quite unsurpassed. But the currect crop of writers/artists ain't exactly the best.
It had moments of lofty heights (e.g. when Grant Morrison was on board) but at the moment, I've converted into a fan of The Avengers. Which is kinda surprising. I've never been crazy about them and I'd especially never liked Captain America. But Mark Millar's take on The Ultimates and Brian Michael Bendis' run on The Avengers are works that will ensure you're pruritic for the next issue!
My all-time favourite comic is The Sandman, and the writer, Neil Gaiman, well, you know how much of a fan I am! I'll stop myself from waxing lyrical by just saying that it's one of the top items in my Must-Read list of readable material, if not the top.
I used to be a fan of Image as well, although it was more to do with the art (Jim Lee, Mark Sylvestri, Todd McFarlane, J. Scott Campbell) rather than the storylines. It's a pity the 'alliance' ain't there anymore, but it was good while it lasted. Jeff Smith's Bone and Roman Dirge's Lenore are pretty worthy reads as well.

I guess at the end of the day, I'm not really a loyal supporter of a particular publishing company, but more of the writer. For example, I'd buy anything (money permitting, of course) that Gaiman or Alan Moore (Read Watchmen, V for Vendetta) or Frank Miller (The Dark Knight Returns, Sin City) comes out with, and certain artists tickle my fance as well (Alex Ross being one of them). If the story's good, I'd go for it. If the story and the art is amazing, then it's a bonus.
Btw, What's your fav character and why? I'm guessing Kudo's is Witchblade or Tomb Raider...and I think I know why... ;)









<< Home