Tuesday, November 15, 2005

Random thoughts

- 3 and a half down, 3 and a half to go. Nights have proved to be rather relaxing so far, but the exception to the rule has been the past few hours. Have been kept on my toes by a couple of admissions, which I didn’t mind. What I did mind was the incompetence of a certain individuals who seemed to be of the opinion that jotting instructions in a patient’s notes is optional.

- Watched Argentina vs England a couple of days back, which England won 3-2 courtesy of 2 late goals by Owen. Till then, he was practically non-existent, and by then, Argentina’s main playmaker, Riquelme, was taken off the pitch. Overconfidence? Perhaps. But credit when credit’s due – it’s definitely the best England performance that I’ve seen in a while, and probably one of the best matches I’ve watched in a while as well. If England continue to play as they did, they’ll go far in the World Cup. Having said that, it’ll take a miracle or self-destruction for Brazil to not win the Cup. Of course I hope Italy or Argentina wins it, but I guess we’ll see in half a year’s time.

- Gonna see my Sweetie!!!!

- House of M #8 had one of the more disappointing climaxes (or anticlimax) in a major comic storyline.

- Been doing a fair bit of shopping recently. Bits and pieces to take back home to Msia, including the usual chocolates and what not. Took the opportunity to go to the pool and swim a few laps as well. Thankfully, I’ve seen an improvement – I don’t feel like drowning that early anymore.

- Been having discussions recently regarding the status of Malaysian medical students abroad. I honestly don’t understand the point of going back home to practise right after graduation. If one is to fulfil the rationale of studying overseas (i.e. to bring back foreign expertise or a different ethos), then one won’t actually see any benefits until one has at least completed a couple of years of work. And this would be even more so for specialist training. The argument of going back and then reapplying for post-grad studies overseas is a non-starter as the postgraduate situation back home ain’t exactly in mint condition at the moment, and until pure merit is the sole criteria from which one is judged is enforced, I think it’ll be difficult to argue otherwise.

- Jingo by Terry Pratchett is hilarious.