Tuesday, September 19, 2006

Weekend getaways

After the 'high' of the previous entry, I had inevitably succumbed to the feeling of God-do-I-have-to-go-to-work-today? throughout last week. The fact that I had somehow gotten myself into undertaking 3 on-calls in a row might have something to do with it. But I'm back to a relatively relaxing week (although yesterday's ward cover was a nightmare) and going away on the weekends have proved to be a survival mechanism of some sort.

Met up with Jo a couple of weekends back, to catch a flamenco show by Gerardo nunez over at The Sage. Having 'fallen in love' with the art form during my trip around Andalucia, I was quite keen to catch the performance by one of the supposed greats of modern flamenco music. And I wasn't disappointed - being a sucker for passionate works of art, it was easy for me to get lost in the mesmerising guitar-playing of Mr Nunez, and his rather elderly wife was surprisingly graceful as she twirled and snapped her fingers to his beat. The more interesting addition to the ensemble was the inclusion of a double-bass, which added an extra dimension to flamenco's traditional aspects of the cante, baile and guitar.

It was good meeting up with Jo as well, as she appeared to be happier than I had ever seen her be. Deservedly so, I might add. So it was good catching up, especially after not having seen her for ages. Ironically, another friend who is usually one of the more cheerful individuals I know is not going through the best of times. But hopefully her little break will be beneficial, and she'll be back to skipping along merrily soon (call me when you get back!).

And last weekend saw me going up to Edinburgh for the annual visit-Radzi-on-his-birthday trip. Which involved a whole lot of bitching about work, the general deterioration of the third rock from the son and gargantuan gastronomic delights. One of which involved dinner at Cosmo, and another involving the purchase of 2 Oreo cookie bash cakes from Peckham's for the folks back in Carlisle. A cake that has been appropriately described as orgasmic. Well, almost anyway.

Don't think I'll be doing much this weekend. Am on-call on Friday, and for some reason unknown to moi, I agreed to be the 2nd on-take today. It'll be nice to meet up with the Brighton Grove family, but that'll probably depend on what time I decide to wake up on Saturday.