Thursday, February 28, 2008

Thankfully he didn't sing Spongebob

Tuesday was a relatively eventful day for me.

I had initially planned to leave the ward at 4pm, as I had to catch the train to Newcastle in order to be on time for the Newton Faulkner gig, which I couldn't afford to be late for (I held the tickets, and Imaan would've killed me if I was late). And despite the busy morning (I had to beg, cajole and threaten to get a central line into a girl with GI bleed and get her scoped), I was quite convinced that I would be able to get away in time.

Naturally, something had to happen and at about ten mins before 4pm, I was told that a guy was coming into the ward with a massive pneumothorax and as I was the most senior person around, I couldn't leave the ward with good conscience. I managed to get the equipment ready and inserted the drain in what was probably a personal speed record and what was probably the best insertion I've ever done as well. Unfortunately, it was approaching 5 by the time I finished but I did feel good about my day's work.

At the end, I had to pay 16 quid for a cab ride to Darlington in order to catch the train on time. It was well worth the trip though. I had initially agreed to watch Newton Faulkner not because I was a huge fan, but because I knew a couple of his songs which I thought were not too bad, and I felt kesian for Imaan who didn't have anyone else to go to the gig with her.




I must say that I'm glad she invited me to go along, as the gig was pretty amazing. The set and sound system wasn't anything to shout about, but the simplicity of the night was in keeping with the fact that we only really needed to listen to the man sing and play his guitar to be mesmerised. I don't think I've ever seen anyone so comfortable with a guitar; his fingers were gliding along as if the instrument was an extension of his body. And the night was made more enjoyable by the warm interaction and witty banter that he had with the audience.




I felt rather old at times though, especially when the (?school)girls in front of me were squealing and jumping and behaving like little lunatics. If slapping was permissable, they would've all left the gig with red, inflammed cheeks. I think people should enjoy themselves when they listen to music, but one should consider the circumstances in which they are in. You don't headbang whilst listening to a Beethoven symphony, nor do you tap your feet along politely if you're listening to Faithless.




Stayed over at the girls' house, and it was there that I had the final good news of the day - the stuff that I've been working on under Prof Mendelow has finally been accepted for publication in the British Journal of Neurosurgery. Nothing to do with my career in medicine, but something to put a smile on my face nevertheless.