Monday, December 14, 2009

Let's get ready to partaayy...

I went for a christmas party last week. It was organised by a company of professionals, and although I wasn't terribly keen on attending it, I decided to force myself to go in the end to have an idea of how things pan out.

I'm usually not terribly comfortable in parties - I tend to be that guy who takes a drink from the bar, retire to a corner, look around for someone I know, chat with said person and slowly get to know the people who join our conversation. I usually end up leaving a party knowing an extra few people well; I'm not able to do the flamboyant bit of being the life of the party and committing everyone's name to memory.

I suppose it's a good thing that I'm not a salesman. At the end, the party was ok though. Pretentious, as one would expect it to be, but my consultant was there along with another surgeon that I work with, and they were good company. Also got to know a couple of lawyers who were trainees themselves, and we ended up spending a fair amount of time laughing at the silliness of things.

Next trip out will be to catch Paul Oakenfold, and that's something I'm looking forward to. Then it's watching Avatar at the new IMAX in Newcastle (no more having to drive to Bradford to catch The Dark Knight!) followed by a quiet Christmas. I've got an invite to join the Msian crowd in this town for a belated celebration for Eid, but I've yet to decide if I should go or not.