Miss
Aah... it's good to be back in Newcastle. Being able to wake up in my own bed (which I honestly believe is one of the most comfortable in the world!), lazily work around the house with a hot mug of coffee and a sandwich in my hands as I listen to the news and whatever that's playing over the music channels in the morning... this will probably be the basis of my hols for the next few weeks. A hol that's short and relaxing enough to give me sufficient mental rest, but not long or boring 'till the gearbox rusts and has difficulty restarting.
Spent the afternoon walking around town...and as usually happens on a Thurs, got myself into FP. I've got the final issue of Identity Crisis in my bag, and being the comic geek I am, I'll only read it later tonight after I've done all I need to do and can relax into my sofa with a mug of Milo. I've been looking for a calendar as well, and I treated myself to one with paintings of DC Comics superheroes by Alex Ross as they appear in the Kingdom Come story arc. Cool stuff! Check it out here.
Also spent a considerable amount of time flipping through various mags at WH Smith. I'm too skint to buy all the mags I want, so I tend to do the next best thing and flip through eye-catching articles whenever the opportunity arises. After getting myself terribly confused over an article about String Theory in the New Scientist (I now know less than I did before I read the damn thing), I met up with Elly and we chatted over coffee and a sandwich at Pani's. It was nice catching up with her and exchanging stories, and I'll definitely be seeing more of her since we're practically the only ones who'll be left in Newc over the hols.
David Blunkett has been forced resigned his post as Home Secretary, mainly over allegations that he fast-tracked his son's nanny's visa application. The whole issue has been highly politicised though. And this is over something that is taken for granted back home. If you know someone who's working in a particular department, you'll definitely try to get help in order to ensure that things are seen to. I think it's a rather silly reason to get chastised over, especially when more serious acts e.g. illegal war-mongering go unpunished. One might be more convinced if he was taken to task over his rather authoritarian policies but as the Guardian pointed out recently, society seems to be less forgiving when it comes to mishaps in one's personal life.








<< Home