Monday, January 17, 2005

Nonsense

Apparently Iran's the next target in the United States' so-called war against terror. The administration would like to use the next 4 years they have in power to put an end to all the (possibly hypothetical) threats that are facing the country.

Sometimes I wonder if these people are being stupid on purpose.

And Charles Graner Jr has been convicted for the torture of the prisoners in Abu Ghraib for 10 years. Only. And since he's smiling and having no regrets, I'm guessing he's not going to undergo a similar sort of treatment when he's in prison. How unfortunate. It's a wonder that only one person is being made the scapegoat, 'cause I'm sure he wasn't the only one implementing the systemic torture in Iraq.

I don't understand how the Americans can't see the fact that the problems they have today are because of the policies they implemented yesterday. Or that knee-jerk reactions today with no respect whatsoever for the points of views of others will result in horrible consequences tomorrow. Every international crisis that I can think of has at least part of its origins in American tinkering.

Things are just too contradictory at times. For example, we have the upcoming Iraqi elections with is being hailed as the introduction of 'democracy' in the Middle East. And apparently the Arabs aren't happy about it because it will result in a widespread change of regime (which is supposed to be a step forward for the human race). Come on lah... I'd suggest the Americans clean up their own mess first. The Iraqi issue is far from over. Heck, Saddam Hussein was a problem because the damn Americans placed him in power in the first place, with billions of dollars of support. And now they're preaching democracy, when they choose not to acknowledge the plight or existence of the only Middle East country that has free elections (Palestine).

The fact that Blair doesn't seem to have his own balls doesn't help either. I'm a Labour supporter, but I'm tempted to exercise my rights and vote for the Lib Dems in the upcoming election, which might be held in May. Although the northeast is traditionally a Labour stronghold, there are signs that the foundation is cracking. Newcastle's city council is already under the Lib Dems, and I won't be surprise to see more being voted in as a sign of protest. Having said that, I'd be very much surprised if Labour loses the election.

Speaking of daft things, why is everyone up in arms about Prince Harry wearing a swastika armband? He was wearing a costume in a private party for God's sake. There's a limit to being politically-correct. If you're going to be twitchy about every single item/gesture that might be potentially offensive to every single person, then I feel sorry for you. 'Cause if you're going to be politically-correct, you'll have to play fair and worry about everyone's feelings, not just the Jews when they see a Nazi insignia.

I'd be worried if he was attending a secret neo-Nazi meeting, but wearing a costume doesn't make you anti-semitic. Now, some idiots are calling for the ban of the swastika in England without actually knowing the fact that the swastika means many things and was in existence long before the Nazi party adopted it. Sigh...The media should be focusing on more pertinent issues, but we all know that, don't we?