Saturday, December 31, 2005

Night 1

As is usually the case with the first night of well, night-duty, it's difficult to catch some sleep even if you have a bit of spare time at hand, primarily due to the inability of the body to change its sleeping pattern without undergoing a period of fatigue. I foresee myself having difficulties coping with the little amount of sleep that I'm bound to get since not only will I be on night duty for the next week, but Irene's coming tomorrow (which means I'll stay up more than usual during the day to ensure she's sufficiently entertained) and the weekend after that will see myself and Radzi beginning our 9-day trip to Spain, where I doubt we'll be sleeping very much.

All of which points to a very tiring beginning to the new year. But I ain't complaining, since I'm bound to have a good time in the presence of such company plus there's something to look forward to at the end of January, of which I shall receive confirmation in a few days.

Watched King Kong on Tuesday. I can't really remember the original movie, but I know that as a wee lad I was quite sad that the big gorilla was shot to death. And 3 scenes remained etched in mind - of King Kong climbing the Empire State Building, him picking up crocodiles that were the equivalent size of lizards and munching on them and King Kong undergoing one helluva heart transplant. I doubt all the scenes were from the original movie though, I think there were previous remakes but my memory fails me.

Peter Jackson seems to have done a good job of the remake 'cause just like LOTR, he managed to tell a good story without allowing the CGIs to overshadow the movie (despite the effects being really cool). I watched the Chronicles of Narnia right after King Kong, which wasn't a very good idea as it pales in comparison.

Around this time of the year, one tends to make up resolutions for the upcoming new year, something that I don't really have a fondness of doing. Having said that, I gave myself a few months 'till the end of the year to stay away from the books back when I graduated, just so that I can enjoy myself after having spent 5 years at uni with books in my face (although admittedly not as often as I should have had!). Which means that come the new year, I actually plan (for the first time in my life) to do more reading with the aim of not going 'Fuck fuck fuck!!' when I'm called to assess an emergency. At this point in time, I know I'm not a crap house officer but I know that I'm not an exceptional one either. How I'm going to balance reading with the 2 audits that I somehow got myself involved in is another matter.

I shall go and attempt to catch some shut-eye in a bit. Failing which, I'll stare at the ceiling and ponder over the events of the past year until the shrill sound of my bleep disturbs the peace.