Friday, January 06, 2006

Damn the man

Taken from the NST (with reference to MPs being forced to vote in favour of the recent Family Law bill) :

"BN MPs were fielded by their respective parties. When the Government introduces a Bill, they are obliged to support it," says Nazri."If there are MPs who are not happy, the honourable thing for them to do is to resign, either from Parliament or from their parties. Then, let’s see if they can win as independent candidates in the next general election."

In other words, 'fall in line or we'll fuck your lives up'. Funnily enough, I always thought that the Parliament is the avenue for debate and discussion. Turns out I have a lot to learn.

It's been a relatively quiet night, and the only work I've done for the past few hours involved venflons for patients that weren't even under my care. Managed to catch the first hour of Empire Records, which in retrospect is probably one of my favourite movies of all time. It's a relatively simple tale of a small records store and the kids that run it, along with the struggle that the owner faces in order to prevent one of 'em big corporations from taking over the store.




The movie brings back memories of early secondary school - I think I borrowed the movie from Jason, and at such a age, one could identify with the various issues that were being tossed about. Heck, I probably still can. It's also got loads of brilliant quotes ("Always play with their minds")and it's a kickass soundtrack - I can still remember getting all jumpy with 'Sugar High' (Coyote Shivers), and listening to 'Romeo and Juliet' (Dire Straits) for the first time. It is also the movie that made me fall in love with Liv Tyler (along with every other Form 2 male) back in 1995.

Can't believe 10 years have gone by so fast. Next, I'll be talking about how I missed the days when I used to watch Lord of the Rings.

In honour of this movie, I decided to take this quiz. Don't bother taking it unless you've watched the movie.