Somewhere I Belong
There have been a couple of comments by a couple of politicians recently that've riled me up a little, and this is not even the politicians in this country but the ones back home (where do I even begin to talk about Patricia Hewitt's claim that it's been NHS' best year ever?).
Firstly, a PAS MP by the name of Abdul Fatah Harun decides to say that women who get a divorce and become single mums do so 'cause they're gatal. Was he thinking when he made this statement? Yes, if he's a male chauvinist pig. No, if he's stupid. Firstly, he's missing the point that most women who end up being single mums do so for reasons that are not of their making. And choosing to be a single parent is no easy matter - there usually is a precipitating event and more often than not, it's the husband who's gatal and not the other way round. And let's not even start on the men who go aroud marrying like nobody's business. Have I talked about this before? I'm sure I have. I'd like to write a detailed, well-researched article on the matter but right now I just wanna grab hold of someone's head (preferably Mr PAS MP's) and knock some sense into it.
Secondly, we have our very own Information Minister informing Parliament that the on-going debates in Parliament are not broadcast live to the public because the Malaysian public still has a third-world mentality and will be susceptible to issues e.g. racism. This, I believe, is the very public that has voted people like him into power. Obviously, the paternalistic attitude of our dear minister is a contradiction of the administration's vow of accountability but heck, we're not smart enough are we? It's better that we (the product of the education system that has been put in place by the administration) be left in the dark while the MENSA folks who make up the cabinet make the really important decisions like deciding to waste a hundred million ringgit on unfinished projects.
Then again, with folks like Mr PAS MP above, how can I argue that we're reaching a state of intellectual maturity?
Looking at the bright side, this will make interesting conversation over teh tarik this weekend. Woo hoo! Less than 48 hours to go and I can't wait. Especially after today's horrible day - DAB was on-call yesterday, so I had approx 50 patients in total today. With only one reg around, it wasn't the easiest of days. Wasn't a particularly cheerful one as well, since 4 patients died (they were all expected deaths, thankfully) but it ended on a high note as an LP went really well.
But the day would've ended on a high irrespective, 'cause I'm leaving on a jet plane... lalalala... Actually, the song that's been playing in my mind is Better Together, a lovely little piece by Jack Johnson. And it'll be playing in my head (and over the iPod) 'till I touch down in KLIA.








<< Home