Of changing personalities
I sometimes like to practice the communication skills that I have learnt in settings outside of medicine. This involves both the positive aspects as well as stuff that you’re not supposed to do – e.g. I was having an argument with a person a couple of weeks ago, and decided to change my body language by facing the person and leaning forwards.
It was intellectually intriguing to note how the person’s body language changed and mirrored my own. It’s also quite interesting to note how one can influence the flow of a conversation by certain manoeuvrings of the body and I frequently utilise this when I’m not in the mood to converse with the barber (which is almost always).
However, I am still finding my feet with regards to communicating with my junior staff. I am a good manager, but I am not a good leader. At least not yet. And part of it is dealing with the new position that I am in the clinical hierarchy.
For example, looking back over the past few months, I have realised that I have been too friendly with some of the junior staff. While this has its benefits, there’s also the fact that it makes chastising them a lot more difficult should the situation warrant it. And similarly, because the interaction is skewed towards friendship, there is a lack of recognition of the severity of events at times.
With the next batch of juniors, I made a conscious effort to remain a little distant from them and I must say that things have improved. One is able to appreciate effort and reward results more appropriately, and the lack of close friendship also allows constructive criticism to be dished out in a more effective manner. It might mean that I won’t be looked upon in as positive a light as before, but at least it means that things can get done in an appropriate manner.








<< Home