Thursday, June 16, 2005

Bittersweet

The 15th day of the month of June in the year AD2005 will be remembered by yours truly for a couple of reasons:

1. It's the first-year anniversary of my r'ship with Sweetie. Yup, it's been one year since she said 'yes' to me in the shadow of the Cologne Cathedral.

2. I passed!! Yup, after 5 years of trudging through endless lectures and tutorials and practical attachments, I'm officially unemployed at the moment and to quote a certain someone, will be entering 'hell' in the relatively near future.

I had met up with Reem, Jo & Dave earlier during the day (around noon) and after a brief debate, decided to head towards the medical school, where we waited for a good 2 hours 'till the results were posted on the notice board. The period in-between was filled with 'fun' activities - a crab-sandwich, nervous foot tapping, constant pacing and by the end of it, I'm sure the 3 of us were close to collapsing due to our rapid heart rates.

When I saw our names on the board, I was pretty ecstatic to say the least. We were literally jumping, the girls were crying, we were hugging each other and unsuccessfully trying our darnest to look nonchalant about things. Almost immediately, I called Sweetie and my family and told them the good news.

Spent the rest of the day buying stuff to take home and completing my shift to Shanti's room. By the time I joined Reem, Jo & Nav for drinks, my body was pretty much aching all over and I was suffering from severe mental exhaustion. But it was a small price to pay, since it was the last time I'll be seeing them before I fly home tomorrow. And it was great just hanging out with them, 2 individuals who've helped me through a lot throughout the clinical years and who've definitely played key roles that've resulted in the events of today.

After dessert, I came home and tried to complete the packing of my suitcase. Went online and found out that I actually scored a 70% for the Data paper, which means I'll forever be the butt of jokes when I get insecure in front of Reem or Jo.

At the moment, I'm feeling a mixture of emotions - I'm happy and relieved, knowing that I can look forward to spending my time with Sweetie with next-to-no worries. But I'm also saddened by the fact that my close friend didn't fare as well, although we all know that she more than deserves it. Hopefully she'll be feeling better soon, and she'll be in my thoughts and prayers.