Wednesday, May 17, 2006

The most loneliest time

It’s been quite a while since I last wrote in this blog of mine. I’ve been understandably been kept busy back home with activities ranging from hanging out with Sweetie, friends and family to eating and sleeping. At the end of the day, I tend to just skim through my e-mail (of which I’ve been guilty of procrastinating in replying) and plop down onto my bed and sleep for the few hours that I do.

The 2 weeks back home just flew by – and I’m now back to the plain and miserable experience that is working life (I was aptly greeted by a slow drizzle upon my arrival in Carlisle). I had loads of fun though, and was lucky enough to be back home during the period that had 2 public hols, thus enabling me to spend more time with Sweetie. She wasn’t able to take any days off, but we made up for that by having lunch everyday and meeting up after her work as well.

This time round, we got up to more activities than the usual hanging out in OU and catching movies (although we did catch MI3 and Poseidon). Sweetie treated us to a day at a health spa which involved a full body massage and body scrub, along with some time in the sauna that left us bone dry. Perhaps she thought I needed a good cleaning, but it was a surprisingly pleasant experience although I did refuse to allow the soles of my feet to be scrubbed since it was too darn ticklish.

We also went up to Genting and spent a night there (with Mumsy tagging along). Caught all the usual rides, along with the new spiderman ride and sat through a rather fascinating magic show. The other show of note that we caught was a classical performance featuring Abdel Rahman El Bacha, an amazingly talented pianist that Sweetie aptly described as having ‘magic fingers’.

Food-wise, I did the natural thing and sampled my usual favourites – from my fav hokkien mee at the Chinese stall near my house to the roti pisang madu that was the last thing I ate prior to take-off. Sweetie and I had the opportunity to taste some lovely peking duck at the PJ Hilton, as they were having a special event. The chef was from Beijing and went at great lengths to ensure we had a good meal, although the poor guy kept apologising for being unable to speak English properly.




Also met loads of people – think I actually managed to meet most of the people I wanted to meet, and a few long-lost folks as well including my Aunty Shanty (who’s about 5 years older only), who I have not met since leaving for England. We used to be very close when we grew up together and I’ll always remember her as the person who bought me my first Sandman trade paperback. It was nice meeting up with her, and this time round I hope we’d continue to keep in touch. And of course, I got to play with FooFoo (our nickname for Sweetie’s little niece) and spent a good amount of bonding and carrying her around.

Naturally, the best bit was the moments spent with Sweetie. When you’re in a long-distance relationship, every single second is worth savouring. The downside is the parting, which is not really such sweet sorrow but just more of the latter. But at least my mission for going home this time round was accomplished (amid tremendous trepidation on my part) and we have the outline of a plan for what to do next.