Saturday, July 02, 2005

Engineer for a day

Sweetie came over this morning, and after a brief delay (it was 0745, and the shirt on my back was still warm from the iron's touch!) we were off to the IEM's Open Day and AGM. The morning forum was interesting enough to have kept me awake. Felt rather amused watching the engineers at their own turf, making their own jokes and in some cases, syiok sendiri. Reminiscent of a bunch of doctors!

Had lunch at a cosy little place at SS2 called The Teapot or something like that. We're guessing it was established by some person who studied in England and bought a fine collection of teapots (probably from car-booth sales) which are currently being used to the decorate the cafe. The food was good, and would've been even better if I was actually able to eat more than half of my pie.

Evening was rather interesting as well, 'cause while waiting for Sweetie to get into her Trinity costume (which she had to wear in her capacity as MC for the annual dinner), I had a long chat with her dad for the first time ever, and we bonded over sports and politics. Haha... Considering the fact that I used to perceive her dad as being rather stern and aloof, this is a good development indeed!

The dinner itself went well, and Sweetie did rather well as the MC despite her initial apprehension. Was kept company by a few of her IEM friends, who seemed to be pretty decent fellas themselves. The biggest joke of the night was my nomination as Mr Engineer - funny 'cause Sweetie was getting all embarassed, and funny 'cause I was one of the handful of folks who wasn't actually an engineer and the organisers decided to pick on me. Me...an engineer??

Didn't really spend that much time with Sweetie by herself, but nevertheless we still enjoyed ourselves, and we've got tomorrow to hang out (will be catching the MPO performing pieces by the Russion trio of Shostakovich, Prokofiev and Glazunov).

W2K, thanks for the email and the advice! Am too lazy to do any e-mail replying at the moment, will do so once I'm back k? Or I'll just give ya a call... u coming for my grad?